I enjoy making fashion artwork collage. With our digital world, I found handmade creation the most appealing. I often love to incorporate recyclable materials and textile swatches to create dimensions to some of my original fashion sketches…layer by layer.
Most of my original fashion illustration art is created with mixed media – mainly in Gouache, color markers and pencils. Each piece is hand made, then transferred to Giclee Printing as poster art for reproduction. I often select from my collection of beautiful papers, vintage prints, and fabric swatches to add to the collage.
Travels inspire me tremendously, learning from various cultures often gives me a fresh take to create new art – from the exotic Ikat patterns of Bali, to the rich and spicy color palette of Morocco, and Mexico. The creative process tends to be intense, but I enjoy every step of the way.
- The fashion figures are illustrated on white illustration paper.
- Cut out the figures – place on black presentation board – sometimes leaving white area behind figures for contrasting effect.
- Design background: textile swatches, print artwork or trimmings are added to represent the design of the garment. Some trimmings are created with hand embroidery or bead work.
- Recyclable items are often used such as print patterns from other resource – I also like to customize these prints by painting over them to create dimensions.
- Place all the background elements around the fashion illustrations for final layout. Giclee printing captures the details of the original artwork very well – only for fraction of the price.